Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sign Of Things To Come

    Today we were making sugar cookies, Sierra cut out the shapes and decorated them with colored sugar. She did a very good job and seemed to like doing it.  After the second batch I put her up on a chair by the sink, so she could wash her hands.  There was some soapy water in one of the sinks and she began to play in it,

    I rolled out the dough for the third batch and called her over to cut the shapes out.  Sierra said "no" she didn't want to help make cookies anymore.  I understand that water is more appealing to her so I said she could play in it.  I turned around to see what she was doing and she had the green scrubby pad and was cleaning my sinks!

    I normally wouldn't think anything of her playing with the scrubby pad, but she was scrubbing the sink and she said "I'm cleaning the sink" (not as clearly as that but I understood it).  She did just that, she cleaned it pretty darn good too, and then moved to the second one and started scrubbing that one.

    So there we were, me making the rest of the cookies and Sierra cleaning the sinks.  I know with autism there are obsessive tendencies, is this a sign of what is to come?  On a number of occasions she has asked me to clean the mirror in the bathroom, is she going to be an obsessive compulsive cleaner?  I am not the cleanest person in the world, is she is just trying to tell me something?  Maybe, we shall see.

4 comments:

  1. Pumpkin w/ choc chips. My little boys favorties. Hey do you homeschool? I use K12.com for my little boy. They SO work w/ special needs children. Just FYI, in case you need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sierra is only 3, for now I want her to go to public school, but I am prepared to pull her out if problems arise. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the thing I'm learning about life with my autistic son.... you absolutely can never predict what they will do or what will happen next. Even knowing things like they love to play with water, or clean, or whatever... they still keep you guessing and hopping!

    ReplyDelete