Friday, December 10, 2010

Normal Is In The Eye Of The Beholder

Add caption

   Today I was wondering what Sierra is going to be like as an adult. She has made great progress over the last year that it gives me hope of a normal life, but then she does something that makes me think she will not have a normal life. Then I began to think about "what is a normal life?" Is it what I think is normal, or is it what someone else thinks is normal?
Abnormal brain -Young Frankenstein

   


Think about all the people you see that you think are weird or different, they think they are normal, who is right? I guess they are right, because "normal" is in the eye of the beholder just like "beauty" is. Yes I would love for her to be my kind of normal, I won't lie, but I will accept her normal because I love her. The question in my mind now is "have I been accepting of other people's normal?" The answer is, not as much as I have been for my own daughter. 

This is one of the many lessons that I have learned from Sierra.




11 comments:

  1. there are many people that think normal means to conform to be the same as everyone else. Wouldn't that be boring we would all be like the Stepford Families. Sorry i would rather be not so normal it is more fun...Who knows maybe the Uncle or Aunt that no one understood and may have been called ecsentric would now be labeled as Autistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you, I *thought* I was open and accepting of others before but now I realise how much I have changed since HRH was diagnosed and realise that I wasn't, not as much as I am now. Maybe everyone is the same? I don't know, but I am very very grateful to have the insight that I do now :) Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. If singing conversations instead of talking sometimes, calling each other names (in jest), making fun of the neighbors and watching television programs such as SNL and The Office is normal...then my family is normal ;D

    (My kids don't stand a chance.) Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone wise once told me, "Normal" is a setting on the dryer:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous - It would be boring if we were all the same!

    @Jen - Same here, It made me realize how I was not as accepting as I should be.

    @dluvscoke - Sounds normal to me!

    @Lora - Lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post and so true. I can look back and know that I haven't been as understanding of others differences as I should have been but know, now that I have my daughter, that things are so much different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. In the last nine months since we had "that talk" with the teacher, I've learned a lot about autism, even more about my son, and mostly about myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jessica - You never think that much about stuff like that until it effects your life. Thank you

    @Ashley - It's a never ending classroom. Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My children have taught me so much in this vein as well... beautiful post! :)

    I'm now following you through the Small Things Saturday Blog Hop. I hope you'll do the same! You can find me @ http://sofiasideas.com/

    Sofia's Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, I am following yours as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am following you through the blog hop. I have also got your button.

    I understand how it feels to not feel normal. I grew up my whole lif feeling different and out of place. I always wanted to be what I thought was normal. It took me till I was in my late twenties early thirties to realize that I am what is normal for me. No body else matters.

    ReplyDelete