Wednesday, October 20, 2010

That Helpless Feeling

    Sierra was stung by a wasp on Monday, yes I know she was just bitten by an ant last week, and had all those sores in her mouth too!  It has not been a good time for her.  This one was different in the scale of feeling helpless.

    I had just picked her up from school and we were walking to the car when I noticed her scratching her forehead.  Then I saw the wasp fall from her hair.  In a split second I said in my own mind "Oh Shit!", and the screaming began!

    I had to drag her back inside screaming because I needed someone to hold the baby for me and I was hoping they had something to help her.  All they had was ice, but Sierra will not let me put ice on anything.  She already had a welt above her right eye, and she kept clawing at it like she was trying to get it off of her!

    I realized there was nothing I could do for Sierra except to try and console her, but she was having none of that.  Sierra kept signing wipe it off, and help, as well as saying help me!  It was a total feeling of helplessness and it just tore my heart out!  I just could not explain to her what was going on so she would understand it.  When I told her that it was a bee sting she became more upset, like I had just told her that aliens did it.

   I eventually got her in the car, and on the way home Sierra cried all over her stuffed animal friends that go everywhere with her.  That made her cry more because she can't stand to have them wet and she kept telling me to wipe them off!  Halfway home she stopped crying and seemed to be over the worse of it.

    I never had that total feeling of helplessness with my other children.  They would understand what I was telling them and let me do what I needed to make it better.  At times like these I wish that there were autism interpreters so we could communicate better.

4 comments:

  1. You and me both. Sometimes there just isn't much we can do. I wish I understood what it is that my son wants or is trying to tell me but there are times I just don't. Both of my twins are on the spectrum but one has a lot more communication problems than the other. It can be frustrating and upsetting at the same time. Just know that you are doing everything you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the words of encouragement, I couldn't imagine having twins much less them both being on the spectrum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad! Poor Sierra. (The part about her not liking her stuffed animals to be wet is cute!)

    Cody has been stung by bee's 3 times. He hates being outside because of it. We resorted to the "bee hat". You can read about it in my August Archive post "Don't Say the F Word" if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete