Monday, September 6, 2010

Finding a DAN Doctor

    Once we had Sierra's evaluation done I went right to work on finding a DAN (defeat autism now) doctor. My first stop was the Generation rescue website, which has most of the stuff you want to know about treating autism. The website at the time led me to the Autism Research Institute for the list of DAN doctors. Now I live in a small town in North Carolina so of course their were not any DAN doctors here. I ended up picking one in Raleigh which was three hours away, but Sierra's older sister was going to college at UNC Chapel Hill which was close by and we could visit her while we were there. They also had an office in Greeneville NC where Sierra's other sister was getting her masters degree at ECU.

    I made an appointment with Dr. John Pittman from the Carolina Center for Integrative Medicine, he has treated many children with autism. The staff  was friendly and the website was very informative. I was able to find out  everything I needed to know from the website, how they handle insurance (they don't you have to file it), How much I had to pay ($200 deposit and $246 at time of  first visit), what was needed at the first visit, and how long it would be (90 minutes). At the time they mailed you the packet to fill out but now it is on their website, here is the link if you want to look at it, new patient registration. The form you have to fill out is huge and it took me forever to fill out, but you want them to be thorough when treating your child.

    This was my doctor experience, other doctors might do it different or charge more or less, but this should have given you a rough idea on what to expect and it didn't cost as much for subsequent visits. You should always check your doctor out and get all your questions answered before making an appointment. My appointment was a month away, so I went about getting books to read on the subject. I wanted to know how and why they were going to do things. The two books that helped me the most were, Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder by Karen Seroussi. This book explains how much of this treatment came about and why it works. The other book is Healing the New Childhood Epidemics Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies by Kenneth Bock, M.D., and Cameron Stauth. This book listed just about everything my doctor gave Sierra, what it does, and parents ratings on symptom improvement. It also talked about the different diets used. I still use this book every time my doctor gives us something new for Sierra to take. If you have any questions about anything else I would be happy to answer them.



No comments:

Post a Comment